Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh How I Love Hospitality

Having recently moved to a new city where I know essentially no one, I decided it would be a perfect time to start blogging! This way I can share my thoughts, even if I don't have someone to actually talk to every day. Who knows if anyone will actually read this, but that's the joy of the internet, right? You can talk and talk and talk, and imagine people are listening, even if they aren't!

Working in the hospitality industry has always been a dream of mine. From the moment I realized that I could actually work in a hotel and get paid for it, I knew what I wanted to do with my life. In college, everyone always says "You'll definitely change your major at least 4 or 5 times." That was not the case for me, and I knew it wouldn't be. I know a lot of people come to college not quite knowing what they want to do, which I completely respect, but those comments always made me feel like I was strange or I was doing something wrong for not wanting to change my mind. Now, having worked in hospitality to some degree for over 5 years, I know that I was not wrong (even if I am a little strange). I go to work [almost] every day, loving my job, and I get great satisfaction out of the business of hospitality. People that aren't in the industry don't always understand that hospitality truly is a different animal. I read a quote once that said "In hospitality, all business is personal." That is the best way I can think of to describe it. Not only must you be business minded in this industry, but you must also be people minded.

People who know me recognize that I am somewhat of a hospitality management nerd. I read management and hotel books for fun, and I could talk about work for days. That's what happens when you're in this industry. It becomes your life. I'm okay with that, but some people that I've worked with or worked for have also reminded me that it is ultimately most important to sustain life outside of work. Although it's going to take time for me to do this in a new city, I am slowly but surely working at developing "a life".

Even though some days I wish I was back in my college town with my friends or in my hometown with my family, I am still glad that I took the leap to move two days after graduation to a new place where I know no one. Not everyone can say that, and I think I'm doing a pretty good job of making it work!

Until tomorrow, when I will inevitably be bored at home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment