Thursday, October 14, 2010

Box It Out

Here's a suggestion for anyone that has a stressful job: take up boxing! Even though I'm far from an expert, it is the best workout, and the best stress reliever. The satisfaction one gets from physically punching something can make even the worst day not feel that bad. I've been boxing for probably about two months and it is one of the best parts of my week. I don't even mind that I'm sure half the gym is laughing at my pink wraps and pink boxing gloves. I wouldn't have it any other way! My pink "gear" gives me a little femeninity for something that is very rugged. My trainer started teaching me how to dodge and take punches today. I don't know that I could necessarily hold my own in a fight right now, but maybe one day! It's good self defense.

The stress that I was combating today is from the upcoming wedding I'm coordinating. It's good stress, because I think it will be fun and rewarding, but it's stress nonetheless. Managing a wedding is slightly different from any other group that I manage. If something goes wrong with someone's vacation or business meeting, they'll probably forget about it. If something goes wrong with their wedding, they will remember it forever. That means twice [or three times] the prep work, and twice the stress.

Meeting with the couple today went very well. I can tell they have confidence in me, which helps my own self confidence. The best part about the meeting was at the very end. When I went in for a handshake with the bride, she extended her arms for a hug. That's why I'm in this business. It was a perfect example of how personal hospitality has to be. Especially when handling someone's wedding, this is an event in their life that they will never forget, and I will be proud to have been a part of it.

Off to enjoy the rest of my evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment